Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

Oh baby!

So this weekend at my mom's birthday brunch at Vivace, my dad told us that their next door neighbor's child - Baby Foxy, who as you recall is my dad's favorite - got quite the gift this Christmas.

Let me start by saying that Baby Fox is one of my favorite children in the world. He is as cute as he can freakin' be - and no doubt is the child that makes me say "Awhh.... I really would like a baby boy first."

So dad told us: "You'll never guess what Baby Foxy got for Christmas this year...

(dramatic pause)

...
...
...
...
...

... "An I-Touch."Yes, Baby Foxy... who is 2 years old... got an I-Touch for Christmas. What in the world can a 2 year old do with an I-Touch?!?! They can't even READ yet. Chad's response was: "We'll walk over to go see him and he'll be like 'I don't have time for y'all right now...I'm busy trading futures on the Japanese market." But my dad said that he loves it - knows how to turn it off and on, play games on it, operate the volume, etc.

I was amazed, and when we went back to my parents' house I insisted Baby Foxy come over - with his I-Touch - so I could see this for myself.

Sure enough, he walks in and his little fingers are pressing all the right buttons... which is crazy considering he doesn't know what any of them mean. But he knows which one is "Begin Game" or "Start Over" or whatever. I was amazed.

But right when I began to think that the world is coming to an end since this generation's children are going to be glued to TV/Computer/I-Phone screens, Baby Foxy decides he's bored with the I-Touch (within minutes) and rummages around my parents' house until he finds a leftover wrapping paper tube and spends the next 30 minutes playing with it instead. Because while you can play an endless amount of games, music and TV shows on an I-Touch, you can't:

...use it as a megaphone...

... or pretend your dad is Shere Khan (Jungle Book anyone?!) and the wrapping paper roll is your sword... which ultimately leads to you singing a 2-year-old version of "Bear Necessities" which sounds more like "Bear Lessessinities"...

... or play some odd game where you take your wrapping paper role around to every person in the room and touch them on the foot with it to your heart's delight.

So maybe there is hope for the next gen afterall!

No comments:

Post a Comment