Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2010

I wanna hold your hand

So, I'm a hand-holder. I'm a hugger. I'm a touchy-feely person.

Don't know why. Just who I am I suppose.

For instance, if Chad is alone sitting on a couch, and there are plenty of other seating options available to me, I'm still going to sit directly next to him. I don't know if it's because I'm from a big family - I never really got much alone time growing up... so I'm much more comfortable close to others. Just picture a litter of puppies- they always huddle close together.

Chad, on the other hand, is an only child - so it took him some time to learn to love my closeness.

But Chad does have a hand-holding quirk. When he holds my hand, he likes to put his thumb (or another finger) on the tip of my pinky nail (when they're long) and press it into my finger. Sometimes, he'll press so hard it actually starts to hurt a little bit, and so I'll move my finger, but then a few minutes later he'll start on it again. The weird thing is, he doesn't even realize he's doing it. He doesn't do it all the time. I've noticed it's usually when he doesn't feel well, when he's tired, or when he's stressed out. I always thought it was the weirdest quirk - and I asked him about why he did it. He said he doesn't know. I figured it must be some kind of comfort thing from his childhood.

So the other day I asked his mom about it. She knew exactly what I was talking about. I guess as a child, when he held her hand he'd do that to her, too.

Have you ever met another person that does that? Maybe there's like a support group for finger nail pushers. If so, I'd like to pass that info along.


No comments:

Post a Comment