Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Make asparagus

Just do it.

Because it is delicious. And healthy. And delicious. And delicious.

Here's how I make mine:

Grab yourself a bundle of asparagus. You'll want to break off the bottom of the asparagus because it is tough and fibrous... and not easy/pleasant to eat. Luckily mother nature understands this and has an easy tip for us. The asparagus will easily snap at the place where it's ready to eat (usually about half an inch to an inch from the bottom of the stalk). It's easy to snap by hand.

So now that you have your clean, snapped, asparagus - boil a large pot of salted water. Once the boil gets going, dump your asparagus in. Now - I think the reason a lot of people don't think they like asparagus is because it's not prepared well. If you cook the asparagus too long it loses its great flavor and becomes a bit to bitter for my taste. So I only boil mine for MAYBE 3 minutes (I don't look at a clock). I can tell when it's done when it turns bright green (don't wait too long or it gets more army green/i.e. = not as good) and is bendable when you scoop out a test stalk.

After you drain it, put it back in the pot and add a few good tablespoons of butter (because butter is awesome), kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Then put it on a serving dish and top with fresh lemon zest (necessity) and pecorino-romano cheese (optional).

It is delicious. One of Chad's favorite veggies that I make.

So go make it. With pasta. Or rice. Or chicken. Or steak. Or by itself (no judgments here... I guarantee you I could eat an entire bunch of asparagus by myself in one sitting as my meal).

No comments:

Post a Comment