Pages

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ingredients I can't get enough of

So last week I shared with you my three favorite food groups - bread, cheese and veggies.

Well today I thought I'd share some of my favorite ingredients. These are things, when I read them in a description for a recipe or menu item, immediately pique my interest. They're not usually featured solo - their job is to enhance the flavor of other items.

Leeks.

What can I say - I'm a leek freak. Similar to an onion but with its own unique flavor.

Scallions.


Earthy and delicious in so many things. Like a baby leek.

Cilantro.

Mmmm. Fresh and bright. Can look an awful lot like Italian Parsley so make sure to smell before you buy!

Capers.
Nice and briny.

Garlic.

No description needed. I'm Italian.

Wine.

I love using it in cooking as much as I love drinking it.

Soy sauce.

Sweet and salty. Gives food such depth.

Lemon.

Either a few drops of the juice or a few zests of its peel... citrus does amazing things for cooking!

So there you have it - some of my favorite ingredients. I'm sure there are others that are escaping me at the minute... but those are a good start. Someone find me a recipe with all these things in them, we might become BFF.

No comments:

Post a Comment