Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Fish Tacos

I need to go to some big food and wine festival. I love food and I love wine.

South Beach had their annual food and wine festival this past weekend, and Charleston is having theirs this upcoming weekend. Why don't I ever plan my trips to coincide with these things?!

So since I don't get to go to an awesome food festival this year (unless Chad is planning on surprising me), I'll try celebrating by making my own Food + Wine magazine creation this weekend - fish tacos with creamy lime guacamole and cabbage slaw! I love fish tacos - and think this recipe looks fabulous because it's healthier than the original beer-battered fried fish that are served in traditional fish tacos. It's supposed to be 65 degrees on Sunday, so I think I'll get Chad to fire up the grill for me so we can make these bad boys.


Fish Tacos with Creamy Lime Guacamole and Cabbage Slaw


Ingredients:
* 2 Hass avocados—halved, pitted and peeled
* 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt
* 1 small jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
* 2 tablespoons minced red onion
* 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
* 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
* Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
* 1 small head of napa cabbage, shredded (4 cups)
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
* 2 pounds thick red snapper fillets with skin, cut crosswise into ten 2-inch-wide strips
* Ten 7-inch flour tortillas, warmed
* 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
* Hot sauce, for serving
* Lime wedges, for serving

Directions:
1. Light a grill. In a medium bowl, mash the avocados, sour cream, jalapeño, red onion, cilantro and 3 tablespoons of the lime juice. Season the guacamole with salt and pepper and press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the guacamole.
2. In a large bowl, toss the cabbage with the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and the remaining 2 tablespoons of lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Brush the fish with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat until lightly charred and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer the fish to a platter and pull off the skin.
4. To assemble each taco, spread a dollop of guacamole on a tortilla. Top with a piece of fish, a few tomato slices and a large spoonful of the cabbage slaw. Serve with the hot sauce and lime wedges.


pic via.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm fish tacos! Good idea! One of the many yummy things I miss about Cali.! :) I will have to put those on my must do list when Im there next week.

    ReplyDelete