Pages

Monday, February 15, 2010

Cause I'm a redneck woman...

...I ain't no high-class broad. I'm just a product of my raisin' and I say "hey y'all" and "yee haw."

BTW I hate that song.

But I thought it was a good intro into the fact that I now own a truck.

Okay, maybe its not really "my" truck - it's Chad's - but still. I never thought the day would come. The fact is I was tricked into this decision... and even I still haven't figured out how Chad played me like
a violin. I'm usually the one that does the playing in our pairing.

So here's how it started. A few years ago Chad mentioned the fact that the next vehicle he was going to get would be a truck.

I quickly said... in no uncertain terms... "Over my dead body."

Why, you ask? Because that would mean there are times when I'd have to drive said truck. And I don't do trucks. I wear skirts and high heels. I shop at J.Crew. I write blog posts about lemon pasta. Does that seem like the type of girl to drive a truck? Didn't think so.


So I had made a strong case to Chad why a truck would not fly in our marriage. He finally backed off the truck idea... so I thought... and talked for awhile about the sedan he would buy whenever it was time for a new vehicle. I secretly rejoiced in the fact that I'd be able to scoot around town not only in my lovely Honda Pilot... but maybe a hot little sedan. Best of both worlds.

Well then, a few weeks ago he brings up a "serious" conversation. He tells me that he wants us to have three vehicles. And since he already has a Camry... and I have an SUV... that he'll just get an old beat-up pickup truck. He said we "need" a truck as a third vehicle so that during bad weather, he'd still be able to make it into the office... and that it will come in handy now that we have a house with a yard.

So of course I begin picturing our beautiful new house on our nice tree lined street....

... with a nasty old pickup truck sitting in the driveway.

The idea made me cringe. I tried telling Chad that it was a horrible idea. He pretty much said, "Tough. I'm the man of the house. My decision." Okay he maybe didn't say that per say, but that was the gist of it. You see, in our marriage, Chad is the final decision maker. And that is fine with me - I think it's the way it was supposed to be. Chad definitely takes my thoughts and feelings into consideration... but at the end of the day, if two people have completely different ideas on something, you have to be in agreement on who gets the final say. And in our case, it's Chad.

So I knew this was going to be a losing argument. We were going to have an ugly old pick-up... wahhhhh.

Well the other weekend, Chad came up to me and told me that he'd thought some more and decided that instead of doing the old pick-up, he was going to get a newer, nicer truck that would be his primary vehicle... and we'd get rid of the Camry (giving it to his grandma).

Me, being overcome with joy knowing we won't have an old beat-up truck in the driveway, responded with enthusiasm about what a great idea it was.

It wasn't until a few days after that I was like "Hold on. What!?"

Chad got his way and got a truck. And he got me to agree with him on what a great idea was it. He just woman-ed me.


I've been had.

So here's Chad's new baby. We're still trying to decide on a name for her. But I will be honest - I've gotten to drive her around a few times now, and it is a pretty awesome truck... super nice and comfortable inside, drives very smooth, quick pick-up, etc. Dare I say I might actually embrace this vehicle. Who'da thunk it?


PS: Notice the crew cab... for baby Barnhill hopefully. BTW - after 6 weeks of going Facebook-less, I log on this morning and see three different friends have announced "Yay! I'm pregnant!" or "I'm going to be a mommy." I can't handle it right now.

I will knife you.

No comments:

Post a Comment