Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pesto!

Chad and I have desperately tried to grow basil in the past. Herbs, basil in particular, just hate us.

And, of course, this is the one herb that everyone and their brothers says, "You can't kill basil if you try!" Go figure.

I think part of the problem is everyone (including the farmers at the market!) tell us to do something different. So we have tried, sun and shade; damp, dry and wet; in a pot or in the ground - and in various combination. The only thing that is the same is the result: dead basil.

So instead of stressing myself out over it anymore, I decided to take the cheater's option: go to the farmer's market! And that's just what I did this weekend - three huge bunches (stuffed a whole plastic grocery bag) for $5. I love you N.C. agriculture!

And what better to do with a ton of basil than to make homemade pesto. And that's just what I did.

I cleaned it thoroughly.


Picked off all the leaves.


Chopped the garlic... a LOT of garlic.


Ground pine nuts, walnuts and garlic together in the food processor.


Blended in my basil and extra virgin olive oil. Added pecorino romano cheese.


Made a mess (sorry Chaddy.)


Packed it in several small containers (make sure to add a small layer of olive oil on top) to freeze for later.


Success! It is delicious. So go forth and make pesto!

No comments:

Post a Comment