Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

Brie + Onion + Flatbread = Goodness

So for Sunday supper, I decided to go ahead and make Cookin' Cannuck's Brie Cheese & Caramelized Onion Whole Wheat Flatbread.

It changed my life.


Here's the first one:


Round two looked even better:


And my messy, messy kitchen - just as I like it! (And say "hi" to MPLT's pretty little Mama... that woman knows her way around a kitchen!)

So a few things of note:

1) I need to learn to read through the whole recipe before I begin cooking. I always skim it, and then just get started. Not always the best idea. I assumed this flatbread would only take about 30 mins from start to finish. Not true. I think I spent 45 minutes simply sauteeing the onion. Oh, but was it worth it.

2) I cheated and instead of making my own whole wheat dough - c'mon guys, I was busy this weekend - I bought a couple packages of Trader Joe's whole wheat pizza dough (the fresh kind they sell in little bags near the veggie section.) It was delish.

3) Since the onions themselves get pretty sweet, I was a little more liberal in the use of kosher salt. I made sure to spread the olive oil over the rolled out dough to the edges, and added a little extra salt on the "crust" part of the flatbread. Sweet and salty is the best combo.

4) For next time: I didn't have any cornmeal in my kitchen, so I was forced to do without - but next time I make this (and there will be a next time) - I'm going to add some cornmeal to the top of my pizza stone before putting on the dough. I think that little added crunch to the bottom of the flatbread would have made it even better!

But all in all, it was a crowd pleaser. The words: "Best pizza I've ever had" came out of more than one mouth. I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment