Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

The (uncomfortable) weekend

So I had been riding the pregnancy high for several weeks now - feeling great, tons of energy, etc.

Because of that, I feel bad to complain over one crummy weekend... but hey, it happens.

Friday morning I had my 3-hour glucose challenge test. Ugh - I wouldn't wish that stupid test on my worst enemy. I'm lucky that when I called to tell my mom Thursday that I failed the one hour test and had to go back for the 3-hour the next day, she quickly said "I'm coming with you." It's one of those things that I would never have thought to ask my mom or Chad to come along, but I'm sooooooooo glad she was there. (Tip #1 to girls having to do the 3-hour tolerance test: bring someone with you)

For whatever reason, 90% of my nerves were tied up into having to drink that beverage again. I have a hard time chugging drinks to begin with... nevermind something that tastes like you put a whole jar of this:

into a bottle of this:

But, smart girl that I am, I decided to bring along a straw with me (Tip #2) to hopefully get it down faster (which definitely helped.)

So the appointment went something like this:

8 a.m. - baseline blood draw #1 (some folks said they only had to get finger pricks... not me - they got the whole vial of my blood. but infertility completely cured my fear of needles... so this part wasn't bad)
8:01 a.m. - chug, chug, chug
(8-9 a.m.: feeling like my eyes were bulging out of my head and my heart was going to explode, talking a million-miles-a-minute to anyone and everyone in the Labcorp waiting room)
9 a.m. - blood draw #2
(9-10 a.m.: continued heart racing, feeling sick to my stomach and like I wanted to pass out at the same time)
10 a.m. - blood draw #3
(10-11 a.m.: begged the nurse to let me walk around for awhile --- against the rules since if I would have passed out they would be liable --- but she obviously liked me and let me do it. Tip #3 - be super sweet to your nurse and ask them to let you walk around the building or something -which they'll be more likely to do if you have someone with you- because you'll feel like you want to kill someone sitting in a waiting room for 3+ hours)
11 a.m.: blood draw #4

So yeahhhhh, it was a REAL fun morning... and afternoon. I should find out today whether or not I "passed."I'm trying to keep cool about it - because honestly, it really isn't the end of the world to have gestational diabetes... but it's one more thing to have to worry about so obviously it'd be super nice to get an "all clear" from my OB.

The rest of the weekend wasn't much better. I've had an off-and-on headache that isn't going away, and just general uncomfortableness in my back and tailbone (that maternity massage I have booked in 2 weekends is looking better and better.) And then last night, I obviously was sleeping in an odd position because I woke up with a searing pain in my back and it took me awhile to find a comfortable position to fall back to sleep.

But despite it all, I've had a very active baby this weekend. I felt him pretty constantly throughout - with some of the most crazy movements yet. Saturday afternoon I was laying on the couch and J was obviously practicing his "So You Think You Can Dance" skills or SOMETHING because he was moving so hard and so fast that for the first time I could actually SEE my stomach moving... not just feel it. He put on a repeat performance (to a slightly lesser extent) last night that Chad got to feel.

So all in all, that was my weekend. Hoping for good news from the doctor this afternoon and a more comfortable week ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment