Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

What is it about moms?

I'm not necessarily sure if this is something about ALL mothers, or just my mother(s) - my mom and mom-in-law:

If you ask them to do something for you... not matter how inconvenient, time-intensive, out-of-the-way it is... they will do it. It is wired in them.

If you ask, you shall receive.

I think it even gets worse as the children get older - into their own adulthood - because since you ask things of them LESS, they feel even MORE like they have no choice but to say yes to whatever it is you ask of them.

So here's the thing...

my mother-in-law makes DELICIOUS chicken and rice. I don't even know what's so dang good about it. I don't know why I love it so much... especially when I'm feeling under the weather. Chicken and rice isn't something my mom made growing up... my mom is chef extraordinaire, but she's not a traditional "southern cook."

But anyway, it hit me today that I really, reallly, reallllyyyyyyyyyyy want some chicken and rice. Like pronto.

My instinct is to pick up the phone and ask if my m-i-l can make me a pot of it so I can pick it up on the way home from work and have it for dinner.

My dilemma?

She'll say yes. No matter if she has a day packed full of things she HAS to do. No matter if she is completely out of rice and all her chicken is frozen. No matter if she's not even AT the house and has no plans of being home until she's at church this evening.

If I call and ask if she'd mind, she'll say "Of COURSE not... what time will you be by to pick it up!" Because that's what she does... and that's who she is.

I wish I could ask Chad to do it but, 1) he's out of town and 2) she would more likely do it for me since I'm carrying her grandbaby.

And I can't ask her for the recipe because I've done it before and she refuses to give it to me because she wants to be the only one who can make it for me. This is what mothers do to you.

And my mom is even worse. If SHE really knew I was dying for chicken and rice that she didn't know how to make... ohhhhhhh lord. I don't even want to know. Well, she'd likely break into my mother-in-law's house, search through her recipe books and files and find the recipe, and THEN go home and have it made for me by suppertime.

So in the end, all I really want is some chicken and rice.

But if I ask for it, I know there is a 50/50 chance it could be majorly inconveniencing my m-i-l... but she'd do it anyway.

What to do, what to do.

... to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment