Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Daddy's Girl

My dad has been on a rampage with calling me lately... and always at work when I'm super busy. I think he realizes that he's doing it too so he tries to make excuses about why he needed to call.

For instance on Monday (when it rained all day), I get a call:

Dad: "Sweet D! (my nickname - that's for a wholeeee other blog) How ya doing baby? Just wanted to let you know that it's been raining today so the roads might be a little slick. Just be careful out there!"

I have 10+ years driving experience... but he just had to let me know that wet roads = slick roads.

I think he's really calling because he wants to chat about fantasy football but doesn't want it to be that obviously that FF is the only reason he's calling. So he peppers the conversation with other random comments.

My dad is a fantasy football fanatic. Take someone you know that loves FF and multiply it by five. He literally spends hours every day researching and studying up on different teams and players. It got so bad last year that he promised my mom that he would not be in a league this year so he could spend time with her and my little sis SK, since it is her senior year and she'll be heading off to college next fall.

Needless to say, he has spent just as much time this year studying up and looking at the league's website, despite not having his own team - he is just living vicariously through others... like me.

I joined my dad's fantasy football league two years ago - after much convincing by him and Chad. I finally conceded, figuring since I have to hear them talk about it incessantly, I might as well partake so I have even a moderate amount of interest in the conversation.

When I agreed to join, my dad actually told me (and no I'm not making this up or exaggerating): "Oh honey. I've never been so proud of you in all my life."

Oh really? Of all my accomplishments - being named "Good Samaritan" of the school in kindergarten, winning the role of Belle in "Beauty and the Beast" in elementary school, graduating with a 4.3 GPA in HS and getting into a great univeristy, graduating college with honors and getting a great job right out of school, marrying a wonderful man, etc. - joining a FANTASY FOOTBALL league is what he is most proud of.

Sigh.

PS: He just called me again right in the middle of writing this blog. Just to tell me I had a "great response" to rejecting the same ridiculous trade I rejected yesterday (the culprit knows who he is).

Oh daddy... I do love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment