Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A must read...

For all my 20-something married readers (or about to be/ want to be marrieds):

How not to be a starter wife


So many great points in this article. A couple good ones:

- "Relationships and people change over time. The more skills you have for dealing with what's happening, the less likely you are to get divorced. But younger people come into my office and say, 'I'm leaving this relationship because I'm looking for my soul mate, someone I have more in common with.' It takes them a while to realize that the grass isn't greener on the other side. It may cost them their marriage to learn that lesson."

- "Women now place more of a premium on being fulfilled in their marriages — having their dreams for intimacy, for sexual satisfaction, for challenge, all wrapped up into their marriage. That's a hard order to fill, and these people are likely to end up on the rocks because they learn pretty quickly that no one person is capable of delivering all their deepest hopes for meaning and purpose and happiness."

I know I harp on it over and over again, but I really am passionate about marriages... especially young marriages. It breaks my heart to hear of young people giving up on marriages so soon - and usually because they had completely unreal expectations of what a marriage is (and is not) to begin with. Hopefully articles like the one above can provide you a little insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment