Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pancetta

I was making a dish this week that required pancetta bits. I went to good ol' Harris Teeter to do my g-store shopping, and found pancetta in the deli section - a small package for $8.

I couldn't justify it... especially since I only need a little bit.

I asked the woman behind the counter if there were any other options for pancetta. She said "Of course! Let me slice you some fresh - and I'll just carve it in wider slices so you can dice it up yourself. It will be fresher that way, anyway." So she carved me 2 slices of pancetta --- for a grand total for $1.80.

Score.

So if you're buying pancetta, have them slice it for you at the counter fresh! Better tasting and less expensive. Love when that happens!

1 comment:

  1. You can also substitute bacon. Difference is bacon has a smokey taste where Pancetta doesn't, otherwise bacon is a great substitute.

    ReplyDelete