Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Recipe Review: Braised Chicken with Leeks and Cream

So Monday night I tried out Serious Eats Braised Chicken with Leeks and Cream.

Why? I'm a leek freak. Love 'em. I already told you.

So here was my step-by-step photo tutorial (apologize for the quality - I'm still waiting for Chad to get me a Canon Digital SLR):

Browning the chicken:

Sauteing leeks and garlic:
Adding the wine:
Neslting the chicken back in:
Reducing the sauce after taking it out of the oven and removing the chicken:
Final product (served with sauteed squash, yeast rolls and a side of the braising liquid I had reduced -- perfect for dipping the rolls into):
My thoughts? It was pretty delicious. The chicken was nice and juicy - and the sauce was yummy.

Next time I'll make it, I'll incorporate a few changes:

1) I'll use more than one large leek. It wasn't leek-y enough for me. The leeks had more of a subtle flavor and I wanted them to be more of a focal point of the dish.

2) I'd reduce the amount of chicken stock it calls for and replace it with more wine. The sauce was very heavy on the chicken flavor... and I think I would like it toned down. So maybe instead of 1.5 cups chicken stock and 1/4 cup of white wine, I'd do 1 cup chicken stock and 3/4 cup white wine. Chad disagrees, and thinks the ratio was fine as is... so it's up to you. I just think chicken with chicken sauce is a little too much... well... chicken. I'd prefer chicken with a sauce that has more wine and leeks.

My only complaint - despite browning the chicken before putting it in the oven - the chicken skin did not stay crispy. Which I think might be impossible to keep the skin crispy while braising it (too much liquid.) But I may try next time to brown the skin even more to see if that helps.

Prep and cook time: 1 hour and 15 minutes. Not too bad for a week night, but not the quickest recipe either.

But give it a try. I think the recipe is definitely a keeper - and will be fabulous in the winter and fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment