Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My Mama

Today is my sweet mama's birthday! I know everyone says this about their own mom... but other people say it about mine too, so I think it's safe to say that my mom is without a doubt one of the greatest women on this planet. She is just so caring, and nurturing, and smart, and beautiful, and kind and talented.

But as great of a person as she is, she really just is the most amazing mom. I have to remind myself frequently, that not all moms are like mine... and to never take advantage of it. I always assume that every mom is as supportive, caring and loving as mine is. But that's just not the case.

I think back for all the special little things she (and my dad) did for us as kids. Let me first remind you that I am one of FIVE. But my mom never let that busyness get in the way of making every day special. Like how every December... my mom would put together an advent calendar for us (not just the little ones you buy at the dollar store and open a window each night for a piece of chocolate.) Oh no! My mom would write a rhyming clue for EACH DAY leading up to Christmas, that we'd get to open, read and would lead us to some spot in the house where she hid some sort of "prize" - be it a game or candy.

Or how my parents were committed to finding each of us kids own "special" thing to do with mom and dad. For me, my parents would buy tickets to musicals to take just me. I'd get all dressed up, and have a special evening out with my mom and dad.

And now that I've gotten older, I look back in awe at how the woman did it all!

But more than anything, I appreciate her "mothering" as an adult myself. Every day she continues to teach me so much. I'm so thankful for her and our relationship.

Happiest of birthdays to my darling mom. You are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment